What are you to do when you realize your thoughts have betrayed that you actually think more like Satan than the Lord? Well the first thing is to realize that you need to spend more time with the Lord than with Satan. We are born knowing the thoughts and language of Satan. We all have the sin nature that makes thinking like him natural to us. “I want more, MINE!, he has more than me, you love him more, I am not as good as him, I am ugly, I am fat, I am not perfect,” are anthems we learn early on. We are so well versed in these thoughts that sometimes we don’t even realize how counter they are to how God talks to us.
When you spend time with the Lord, in His Word and in prayer, He starts to teach you what He says about you. He loves you. He does not ask you to be perfect, in fact He knows all your imperfections and still loves you. He wants you to be free of Satan and to be like His Son. He calls you beloved. He celebrates when you turn to Him. He made you on purpose free of mistakes, but not perfect. He pours mercy over you. He pours grace over you. When you repent he pours forgiveness over you. When you are aware of your wrong doing His response is, “Great, now we both know, let’s move on.” He does not exact penance from us. He delights in the details of your life. He is fully aware that you have failed and loves you because He created you not because you are perfect. He has enough perfection to cover your failings. He speaks to you as a beloved child, and heir. His words bring life. Everywhere He breathes life explodes into wild color. Condemnation was dealt with by Him, poured out on His Son to make a way for you to be free of condemnation. Guess who is not free of condemnation? That’s right Satan.
And because he is not free of condemnation, Satan speaks to you out of lies and accusations. In fact, that is his role right now. He saunters into God’s court and accuses all people of their wrong doing. The greatest tattle tale of all time. This is not someone you want to be like.
So, what does it take to change your thinking? Just what God told us in Romans 12: 1-2. Let’s refresh our memory.
And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him. 2 Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect
That’s right. Be transformed by God into a new person by changing the way you think. The Christian-ese word for this is “capturing thoughts.” If you are a believer in Christ, the Holy Spirit will lead you through and empower you to walk out this transformation. To be as clear as possible with you, let me take you practically through what this looks like. I am not telling you to do anything I have not had to bang out myself about 47 billion times.
- You must get to know God through his word. The only way to think like Him is to learn about who He is, how He works, and His perfect character and what He wants for you. The more time you spend with someone the more you get to know him. If you spend 5 minutes with God per day, and the other 23 hours and 55 minutes thinking like Satan, transformation will be an uphill battle.
- You must have time where you are still and quiet and take inventory of your thoughts. What upset you that day? What made you happy? What stuck with you from the day. Getting acquainted with your thoughts and asking why you think or feel a certain way cannot happen if you are moving a million miles per hour from sun up to sun down. The Holy Spirit talks in a very quiet voice in a still place in your soul. You must listen for Him. Satan yells at the top of his lungs to you, “Faster! Faster! Don’t stop moving!”
- When you have an inventory, take a thought and line it up with what you know to be true of God. Does this thought sound like something He would say? Or is it from the other guy?
- If it sounds like the other guy, then ask God to show you what lie you are believing. And then think of what God would say about the thought. In your understanding of what God would say, speak that truth over the thought. And ask God to forgive you. He does every time. Stay with me, I am going to show you exactly what I mean in a second.
- If it sounds like God, thank Him and give praise to Him for transforming you by changing the way you think!
Alrightly, then. Don’t be afraid! This is what it will look like. I’ll use myself as an example.
I sit down in my prayer chair and take a few deep breaths and think about my why I am feeling so hurt by the fact that I was passed over for a solo in the worship band. I can come up with a lot of reasons why I am better suited for the solo than the girl that got it. In fact, I feel undervalued and like they don’t really get how good I am. After I have that inventory, I take it to the Lord. Because I have been in His word, I remember Him saying something like “Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Don’t look out only for your own interests but take an interest in others too. You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had.” For some reason my brain only remembers books of the bible and not verses so the best I can remember is that those verses are in Philippians. God is asking me to say no to being a diva and yes to humility because He wants me to act like His Son. And when I act like His Son the Heavens celebrate. And so, in that moment I listen to that small voice prompting me to let go of the diva and embrace Christlikeness. I ask God to forgive my prideful way of thinking. I speak that truth over those thoughts and feelings, and that may have to be repeated 47 billion times. But over time you will find yourself believing that truth instead of the diva lie. Heck, you might even find yourself praying FOR the girl who got the solo but let’s take it one step at a time. And guess what? Guess who was the OG Diva? Guess why that tendency is in us? That’s right Satan was the OG Diva who wanted to be like God and wanted everyone to know just how great he was. So, when you pursue that thinking you are worshipping Satan.
You cannot white-knuckle this transformation. You do not have the power to transform yourself. Trust me I tried. The best I could do was clean myself up on the outside and hide my horrible thoughts from everyone. Here is the sad thing, that is just another form of Satan worshipping. That is believing that you can do what only God promised to do, that you can be like God. See? It is so first nature for us to fall into. That is why God has to be involved in this transformation. We have to have the Spirit leading us into truth. We have to have God teaching us who He is and how He works. I am praying for anyone that reads this to be set free of thinking like Satan. Jesus is so crazy about you and gives you life instead of lies. Say no to your natural tendencies and say YES to being transformed.
Stay in the Loop!
Join the email list and receive 5 FREE Lockscreens to keep you encouraged!